The DC Lottery offers a variety of incentives to many types of businesses to become a Lottery Retailer. Your place of business could be a profitable Lottery outlet if the following elements exist at your location:
- High in-store traffic
- Impulse products are sold at the location
- Ability to promote lottery products
- Point-of sale-materials can be prominently displayed to build product awareness
- An accessible establishment that meets the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Incentives to retailer:
- 5% commission on instant "scratch" and online (lottery terminal generated) ticket sales
- 4% commission on instant ticket cashes
- 3% commission on online ticket cashes
- 1% commission for selling the $100,000 POWERBALL ticket
- 1% commission for selling the $250,000 Mega Millions ticket
- 1% commission for selling the $250,000 DC Daily 6 ticket
- 1% commission for selling the $100,000 Keno ticket
- $25,000 commission for selling the winning POWERBALL jackpot ticket
- $25,000 commission for selling the winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket
- Various incentives are also offered at different times
Basic application requirements:
- You must operate a lawful establishment in the District of Columbia, which is open to the public and maintains regular business hours.
- Your primary business cannot be solely the sale of DC Lottery products.
- You cannot have a felony conviction within the previous five years prior to submitting your application.
How to become a DC Lottery Agent
By submitting a lottery license application and successfully completing the application process. To obtain an application, download the complete packet from the web site or contact us at (202) 645-8041.
It takes approximately three weeks to complete the entire license approval process. Agent applications are approved based on applicants meeting specific criteria, for example, volume of sales at the location, number of customers who frequent the location, proximity to other agents, days and hours of operation and other relevant factors. Once the application is approved, the installation of the terminal may take up to six weeks.
For further information regarding licensing rules, please contact us at (202) 645-8041.
Lottery licenses are nontransferable. If you buy a business with an existing lottery license, you must apply for a new license to sell lottery products. If you are contemplating buying a business from a current lottery agent, contact us immediately for assistance.
Lottery Not Primary Purpose of Business
Lottery agents must operate a lawful establishment in the District of Columbia in which the sale of lottery tickets is not its primary purpose or business.
Other Required Licenses
You must have a valid business license or District of Columbia Tax Registration Certificate issued by the District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. A Certificate of Good Standing and Federal Tax Identification Number are required for corporate applicants.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
See section 311 of the rules & regulations [PDF]
Other state lottery tickets
It is illegal to sell other state or foreign lottery tickets within the District of Columbia.
Instant "scratch" tickets
It is possible to become a DC Lottery agent and only sell Instant "scratch" tickets based on an evaluation of your application. The application process is the same.
There is a $50 credit check fee. In the event an applicant fails to meet certain financial criteria for becoming a DC Lottery agent that entity may be required to provide a bond in order to qualify for a license. The bond amount will be determined by the agency.
- Part A – License Application and Instructions [PDF]
- Part B – Financial Documents and Instructions [PDF]
- 2011 Tax Form W9 [PDF]
Please direct questions about the application process to [email protected].